Spiced and Smokey Roasted Nuts
Spiced and Smokey Roasted Nuts are a flavorful snack for your New Year’s Eve celebration!
Lately, I’ve been delivering tons of sweet treats for you to enjoy this holiday season. But I know, that you know that not everything needs to be sweet! These abundantly spiced mixed nuts are a step above store bought ones. And they are tons healthier too! The smoked paprika adds a special twist and the oregano provides a surprising spicy note that really makes this snack rather unique!
Nutty about Nuts!
It might feel easier to go to the store and buy one of those pre-made mixes but the reality is that those products often have low quality oils and other preservatives added to the mix. With these spiced nuts, you can rest assured that they are sugar free, free of vegetable oils, and perfectly suitable for Ketogenic and Paleo diets.
While we want to be mindful of the quantity of nuts we consume (because they are “nutrient dense” in that they are high calorie for a small quantity), they are jam packed with healthy fats, fiber, and protein to keep us energized for hours. And who wouldn’t want that kind of snack on a long night of celebrating the end of a decade?
But sometimes, not so nutty!
One other thing to note is that nuts can be a little hard on the digestive system! They contain something called “anti-nutrients” that are basically like a nut’s defense system. Fortunately, there is something you can do.
If you want your nuts to be more easily digested, soak them for 6-8 hours and then dehydrate them before roasting. This allows the anti-nutrients like phytic acid and some of the lectins to break down prior to eating. Ultimately resulting in a snack that is less inflammatory and easier on your gut.
Whether you choose to pre-soak them or not… always choose raw nuts for roasting and make sure they are free of all vegetable oils such as canola, soybean, corn, sunflower, and safflower oils. That means, double check that there are no other ingredients!
For a very rich and deep flavor, try roasting your nuts in left over bacon grease! I know, your eyes might have gotten wide reading that, but no worries. Bacon grease is stable fat so reheating it doesn’t cause it to oxidize and do harmful things to your body. And, more importantly, it adds amazing flavor to whatever you are cooking!
What I love About This Recipe
What I happen to love about this recipe is that you can use any mix of nuts or go ahead and stick to your favorite variety! And if you happen to be attending a New Year’s Eve soiree, you can make these spiced nuts as a gift to the host! They are fancy enough to put in a glass jar, tie with a ribbon, and take along as a nutrient dense appetizer for the whole crowd to enjoy (unless of course the host prefers to keep them for herself!)
Spiced and Smokey Roasted Nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place the raw nuts in a large mixing bowl.
- Prepare spice mixture by mixing the chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder, oregano, salt and chipotle pepper in a small bowl.
- Melt the coconut oil and honey in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Pour melted oil and honey over the nuts and mix well. Add the spice mixture and toss until fully coated.
- Spread the nuts out evenly onto the parchment lined baking sheet and put it in the oven to roast for 20 minutes. With a wooden spoon, stir the nuts half way through their cook time.
- Remove nuts from oven and let cool completely before eating.
- You can serve these spiced nuts immediately or store them in an airtight glass jar at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.