I actually have two favorite Homemade Chocolate recipes and they are both delicious. This one, my Homemade Chocolate, is absolutely scrumptious; it’s sugar-free, dairy-free, low carb and Paleo and Keto. And – it does not have to be refrigerated.
I’ve made this chocolate without any added refined sugars, lecithin or waxes. It is very flavorful, healthy dark chocolate. It can be made sweeter, if you’d prefer, but this recipe is made with coconut butter, which I find gives it a perfectly creamy sweet indulgent flavor.
One of the reasons this is my favorite of my favorite Homemade Chocolate recipes, is because it melts in your mouth, not on your countertop. Unless it is quite warm in your house it will not get melty, like so many chocolates do. Most chocolate recipes use a lot of coconut oil, which may make for an excellent taste, but it also tends to make the chocolate soften too quickly.
My other favorite chocolate recipe is more like a Keto fat bomb. It is creamy and delicious too, but the recipe includes coconut oil and MCT Oil, so the chocolate needs to be refrigerated, and it’s too hard to take along with you.
If you are a chocolate lover, you’ve got to try both of my recipes. You will not be disappointed. They’ll satisfy your chocolate craving and let you stay away from the cane sugar that is in most other dark chocolates out there.
This Homemade Chocolate is made with Cacao Butter. What is Cacao Butter?
Cacao butter comes straight from the cacao bean. It is the healthy fat from the bean. It is creamy, decadent, and good for you. I’m not talking about the more refined cocoa butter (which can be used if you must) that is found in many chocolates, but it does have fewer healthful nutrients than the raw version.
Cacao butter has a whitish appearance and can be found in most health food stores. It seems to be much cheaper online. One of my favorites is Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Cacao Butter. Cacao butter is very hard and must be melted in a double boiler. This is why it is so good for making chocolate. It has a delicious flavor, is quite creamy and will not melt at room temperature. This temperature stability gives your chocolate the advantage of being travel worthy, meaning you can take it with you for lunch. And everywhere. Yum.
Homemade Chocolate (Keto, Paleo, sugar free, dairy free, vegan)
- Melt the cacao butter in a double boiler. If you don’t have a double boiler (I don’t) then use a small stainless steel or glass bowl set on top of a small saucepan that has an inch of hot water in it. You may have to keep your stove on low.
- Once the cacao butter is melted, turn off the heat and mix in the coconut butter until it is smooth.
- Now add the cacao powder, vanilla, stevia, and salt. Mix well with a whisk or fork. You can also use an immersion blender to make sure to mix all ingredients together. (I don’t do this but I’ve talked with friends who do)
- Using a silicon chocolate or ice cube tray, pour your melted chocolate right in. if you don’t have a silicon tray, line an 8x8 glass baking dish with parchment paper. Pour the chocolate mixture right into the dish.
- Let the chocolate harden and cool in the fridge for 45-60 minutes. Once hardened, you can pop it right out of the silicon molds or cut it into squares or chunks.
- Enjoy your chocolate!