My grain-free, Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes or muffins are amazing, perfect for birthdays or as a special treat. They are a cinch to make and can be made without eggs if you have allergies or are vegan. We make these grain-free Chocolate Muffins as mini-muffins, so they can last longer and still satisfy perfectly. They are delicious with or without frosting. If you do want to frost them, I’ve got a delicious and super easy Chocolate Frosting for you.
I’ve happily been making my Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes as a lunch box treat this year because they are a health food masked as a sweet treat. My kids love them – it’s a win-win! These grain-free Chocolate Muffins are nut-free, high in fiber, low carb, full of protein, have very little sweetener, and no refined flours. The perfect lunchbox addition.
Our Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes/Muffins can be made vegan by substituting ground flax seed for the eggs. This method of soaking the ground flax seed in water is considered a “flax egg”, it is basically 1 Tbsp. of ground flax seed to 3 Tbsp. of water. Soaking it for a minimum of 5 minutes prior to mixing into the batter will help the flax act more like an egg during baking.
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cups raw cacao powder
- 6 eggs -- or substitute 1/3 cup flax seed soaked in 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup -- or use Lakanto maple syrup for lower carb
- 1/4 cup Erythritol -- or xylitol
- 3 Tbsp. psyllium husk powder optional
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract -- or vanilla powder
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease mini muffin pans or line with 24 paper liners.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Gently heat the coconut oil so it melts in a small saucepan over low heat. Add the liquid sweetener (if using) and then pour the liquids into the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Mix until well combined.
- Scoop into the greased or paper-lined muffin pans. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until firm to the touch and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool before serving or frosting. Enjoy.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.